8.14.2008

Cruising Through the Oakanogan Valley

Man, my whole life I've wanted to return to Osoyoos -- I just remember always having loved it. I figured I'd probably just do the "straight shot" to Vancouver -- heading towards the Canada's surfbum haven, Tofino. But I get a sweet ride -- one of my favourites of the whole trip -- and we go do wine tastings in the Okanogan Valley, and buy fruit from the local East Indian vendors. At first I figure I'll get a little ways West at least. But I end up riding with them all the way into Van.


Not only were they fun, but they have a sweet music collection as well.


"Are you sure you're not driving? You're okay to have another glass?" She asks me. WTF? Cute I guess.


Beautiful small-scale vineyard out in the country.


Oak that wine baby!


Mountains that just jut right up out of nowhere are really something else. It almost seemed like it had dimples, the way the late light shone down.


Dude, we totally tried the most amazing icewine I've ever had at this family-run operation.


It was so bright and homey inside. There was a shiny grand piano right behind me, too, as I recall. We all kind of seemed to be on the same page with what we liked in wines I guess (and I barely even know what I mean... but wine's fun like that).


Cruise missile?


That's so totally celery and carrots in that plastic bag -- since the West Coast is all healthy and shit -- I knew I had to go with the flow.


This contractor (originally from Ontario but proud to live out in B.C.) gave me a ride in his big van from one town to the next. He tells me about the whole culture of guys that just thumb it from Tofino to Nelson, all around the interior and back again. He picks tons of guys and girls all the time.


Those were amazing kettle chips -- organic too I think.


It was SO MISERABLE standing here bored out of my tree for HOURS in the stifling heat. And I never got a ride for this spot. So I had to hike it to an art museum to get some free water, then across a bridge over rushing green water, and up into the small town's Smart Centre-type suburban-style asphalt shopping complex.


So when I finally got that ride and we started cruising out to M83, old Arcade Fire, Hayden and a zillion other great bands, I remember smiling and telling them how "this is totally the type of moment hitchhikers live for". So relaxed. So quiet. Orchestral electronic ambient kicks ass.



No comments: