8.14.2008

The Octopus Project Flys in Low



Listen to the Octopus Project poolside with inverted florals, it's so rad.


You can see the Thurmond over on the left. Gotta love her rad outfit tho -- simple sparkle.


My whole soundscape in San Diego here has been the Octopus Project (and similar shit).


Fixed gear? You know it. *It is grammatically correct to insert "lol" here


Fruitbooters turn wavechargers. Vibe out to Swollen Members.


Welcome to an indie-rock birthday party. Have a good one Dana.

We've been looking forward to it for weeks and it finally took place last night: The Octopus Project. I was even considering just ditching all my plans and just vibing out in Mexico for another half week or so, but I knew I couldn't miss this. It's something else to just show up somewhere and be introduced to a new "favourite" band. And as you all know (if you know me or have been reading this blog) I've been loving the instrumental electronic music recently. Take it from an indie-rock standpoint -- and a blast of rock out and a dash of class and you have the four piece from SoCal here that call themselves "The Octopus Project. Think Arcade Fire meets Tangerine Dream, or Ratatat goes slick-aggro. Chip jammed out so hard. Yvonne plays a Moog with whole body -- I guess they call it a thurmond. Sending us up and away with the flick of a wrist like a cute space age goddess. Her hands are soft. She totally gets the whole "this music could so rave out for hours on end" thing -- but things it sounds tiring. Totally. The airplanes fly so low over the venue you think you're in for it. San Diego at night -- we go surfing later at 2:3o in the morning at that spot where you'll get beat down if you try it during the day.


The Casbah here totally rocks the same crowd as The Empty Bottle in Chicago (which, if you read it, totally reminded me of California... funny how that works... funny how I eventually made it here)...

No comments: