8.13.2008

Sometimes I think back to Nelson B.C. -->

In Nelson cafes are nestled above the trees.


Elliot Brood: "Nelson was the best show on the tour". Carefree dancing of jumbled varieties, a band bent on riling the crowd with grinding vocal sweetness. You know you're partying with everyone from oil rig coke fiends to the softest and gentlest of Earth-lovers.


Buttons, trinkets and bumper stickers galore.

Yes the man is wearing a vest on a white sleeved shirt while playing a banjo with punk ferocity.



------->>>Cell pix are great to spark memories. But sometimes it's hard to get them to communicate the way a place really FELT -- you know, like the way the whole atmosphere was at the time. Nelson, B.C. has a reputation (and sometimes the name is enough to explain in all). But my pictures, as happy as I am with them, they just don't do the place justice. How can I really get across the feeling of waking up, hoping down from the top bunk at the super rad White House hostel, making me some coffee (take whatever grinds are there and just leave 25 cents in the jar), and sipping the brew on the deck in front of an Elephant mountain that literally took my breath away. Naw, I just can't capture the beauty. And I can't get across the creativity that seemed to float through the air. It wasn't just hippies that flowed in and out there -- although I saw more VW buses than I could shake a stick at, and pot is sold over the counter in certain locations -- but elderly travelers, all sorts of musicians (bluegrass, folk-rockers and otherwise), vacationing Vancouverites, Toronto knowledge industry workers, and Idaho border hoppers, among others.

While I was there a famous war resister got kicked out, and the story was front page material multiple days. I was glad I wasn't in Vancouver yet, since the grid was down there and, as my buddie Roy told me later, mass chaos and looting ensued (if you were in the right places). I just spent my time hanging out, meeting new friends and moving on from the past -- preparing for the journey ahead. It was amazing. I also engage in some serious "freeboxing". It's the term out here for "digging through the trash/donation bin and scoring free shit".


Here musicians walk along streets packed with musicians.


Taking public transit is like a free mountain tour.


Eating healthy is big out here -- and that's why I love carrot cake (which I believe this is if memory serves).


Nelson from Nelson plays a harsh form of ambient guitarism. How could you not love him?


Everyone loves stocking up on fresh tunes.


Nelson was my first real taste of the West Coast funky breakdown electronic scene. Now I can't wait to party in Whistler one day. In the Kootneys they call the vibe Mountain Chill. Kokanee tries to exploit that vibe in their beer marketing (and I love it :-).


Twins?


I love the random "feet shot".




Giant hairy spider makes a fine pet.


Come check out underground art with us... They throw up rad pieces on aqua exteriors.




Mad stash of lucky clovers. You don't see this every day.



Faces in the stairwell corner.


Travelers feel the love, wearing light shirts and bright colours.


Even lampshades in cafes have a touch of interesting to them.


Spirit bar.


"I like my sugar with coffee and cream" -- lets scratch it up to a Beastie Boys breaks remix -- Nate knows the one I'm talking about.


Sometimes you travel a long ways to chill with friends or hit rad scenes: it's super cool when things work out -- and there's a sweet soundtrack in the background.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Andrew,

How are you? Do you miss your jacket yet? :-) Email Charles and he'll talk to you about how you can get it. It sucks that we're coming to SD on the 17th, we'll just miss you. I know that Cole, a staffer, lives in Toronto area, so that could be an option. When did you realize that you left it?

How many times have you've gone surfing? Too many to count?

I don't have your email address, thats why I'm here right now. And are you on fbook? Add me, k? I need an address that I can send something to, too. Email me it whenever you get a chance, k?

I'm in Penticton right now. Random, I know.

-Heidi.